Service   Status  Description 
 High Speed Cable  Please wait... 
 DSL  Please wait... 
 VOIP   No Network issues. 

Board index » DSL/ADSL2+/VDSL » DSL/ADSL2+/VDSL Problems / Questions

Post subject: Running Bitvise Tunnelier as a Windows service
 Unread post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 am 
Forum Member

I decided to write this up for the benefit of other users trying to achieve the same thing I did. Follow the instructions below to get Bitvise Tunnelier to run as a Windows service.

This is similar to the tutorial provided by sypher9 here except his method requires that you login before Bitvise Tunnelier will automatically start. Installing Bitvise Tunnelier as a Windows service will have it run BEFORE you even login.

The setup below is ideal for cases where you have multiple computers in the house networked together and you don't want to have to install Bitvise Tunnelier on every single workstation. You can either install it on just one workstation or a dedicated server and have all the other computers in the house connect through that one server/workstation.

Assumptions:
1) You already read up on how to use and setup Bitvise Tunnelier normally. See here.
2) If you plan to have multiple computers tunnel through one computer (that has Bitvise Tunnelier installed) in your LAN, you must know how to set that one computer to have a static LAN IP.
3) You are familiar with modifying the Windows registry.

You are following these instructions AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Instructions:
1) After installing Bitvise Tunnelier on your one computer/server, ensure it has a static LAN IP. I will assume the server's IP is 192.168.1.100.
2) Configure Bitvise Tunnelier normally so that you can tunnel through Acanac's SSH server. The only thing that needs to change is in the Services tab, instead of using 127.0.0.1 as the SOCKS/HTTP Proxy Forwarding Listening Inteface, set it instead to the computer's static IP, 192.168.1.100. Save that profile somewhere. I suggest Bitvise's installation directory. I will assume C:\Program Files\Bitvise Tunnelier\acanac.tlp. Exit Bitvise Tunnelier.
3) Download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Tools Kit found here. I will assume you installed it to the default path C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools.
4) Open a Command Prompt by going to Start Menu > Run > cmd.exe. Type in the following command:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\INSTSRV.EXE Bitvise Tunnelier C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Srvany.exe

5) Open the Registry Editor by going to Start Menu > Run > Regedt32.exe. Drill down to:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bitvise Tunnelier

6) Go to Edit > New > Key.
Rename it to: Parameters
7) Browse into the newly created Parameters key. Go to Edit > New > String Value. Name it: Application
Change the value to: C:\Program Files\Bitvise Tunnelier\Tunnelier.exe -profile="C:\Program Files\Bitvise Tunnelier\acanac.tlp" -loginOnStartup
8) Close the Registry Editor. Go back to the Command Prompt. Type in:
Code:
NET START "Bitvise Tunnelier"

Bitvise Tunnelier should now start automatically as a Windows service before you even login.

On other computers within your LAN that wants to use the tunnel, just use the IP of the server 192.168.1.100 instead of 127.0.0.1.

Good luck. Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have questions, problems, or other ideas.

Post subject: Re: Running Bitvise Tunnelier as a Windows service
 Unread post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 am 
Forum Member

the resource kit has issues with win 7 any idea what i can do about that and i have tried to get all my computers to go through the one but seem to be having problems any idea where a good tutorial on how to set it up

Unread post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 am 
Administrator

There's another way to have it run on startup here: I tried it on Windows 7 and it works.
https://community.acanac.com/acanac/vie ... 136#p69136

Customer Feedback: feedback@acanac.com Customer Complaints: complaints@acanac.com

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
"George Carlin."

Unread post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 pm 
Forum Member

thats perfect thanks Fergless for pointing me in the right direction

Unread post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:29 pm 
Administrator

No problem Dave. Enjoy. :)

Customer Feedback: feedback@acanac.com Customer Complaints: complaints@acanac.com

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
"George Carlin."

Board index » DSL/ADSL2+/VDSL » DSL/ADSL2+/VDSL Problems / Questions