Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Network Status

Service   Status  Description 
 High Speed Cable  Please wait... 
 DSL   No Network issues. 
 VOIP   No Network issues. 

Board index » DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) » DSL Problems / Questions

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Guide to Set Up Bitvise Tunnelier (and other programs, too)
 Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:39 am 
Forum Member

In order to use Bitvise (or any other SSH Client), you need to request a free Online PC from Acanac so that you will be able to create an SSH connection. Contact support at https://www.acanac.com/contactus.php

The following guides are listed here:

Bitvise Tunnelier (SSH Client - full set up)
uTorrent (modifications to use the SSH Client)
Internet Explorer (modifications to use the SSH Client)
Firefox (modifications to use the SSH Client)
FileZilla (FTP client - full set up)
Add a Network Location shortcut for FTP sites in Vista
Set Up Your Acanac E-mail Account in Microsoft Outlook 2007 (IMAP)

Bitvise Tunnelier

Bitvise Tunnelier is a much easier program than Putty and provides more features. I would highly recommend this program if you are looking for an SSH Client in order to use the workaround for BitTorrent throttling.

Step 1 - Get the free program here: http://www.bitvise.com/download-area and install.

Step 2 - Start the program and enter the Host, Port, Username and Password. Make sure you check the box to Store encrypted password in profile. Also, make sure that your Username is in both Upper and Lower cases and that the Host is nx.acanac.net. You'll notice that the bottom pane contains your session log.

Step 3 - Change your options so that you automatically reconnect. Also, I would recommend that you uncheck the Open Terminal and Open SFTP boxes ... unless you think that you will be using either of these on a regular basis. You can always manually open the windows by clicking on the two icons that will appear on the bottom left pane once you log in (not currently shown in the image below).

Step 4 - Set up your SOCKS forwarding to Port 8080 (**By the way, you don't really have to use port 8080, so long as any programs you set up with a SOCKS proxy server is the same as this port that you use ... I believe that Acanac chose 8080 just to make the instructions simpler for all to follow ... and so I will do the same**). Basically, Acanac will forward all data to this port on Bitvise. From Acanac's perspective, this is the destination port. From Bitvise's perspective, this is your listening port. You may check the box for FTP-to-SFTP bridge. If in the future, Acanac supports SFTP and merges the Online PC and Online Storage, then this may be useful as you will then be able to use the SFTP window to transfer files to and from the FTP server.

Step 5 - Save your profile. If you have other SSH Servers that you connect to, you can create additional profiles for each of those as well.

You should now have everything you need to effectively use Bitvise Tunnelier to open up an SSH Tunnel through Acanac's server. If it does not work, then go back to Step 2 and follow each step again carefully. There is now no reason that it should not work, with the exception that Acanac's server temporarily goes down or you did not request the free Online PC.

If you ever have problems, you should copy the relevant portion of the log into your post. To do this, all you have to do is right-click on the log and select Copy. Open up Notepad, paste, and then look for the relevant logs and copy over into your post. Please refer to this example: http://community.acanac.com/acanac/view ... 8559#28559

uTorrent

If you have been using uTorrent before trying this workaround, you only need to change one setting. If your uTorrent is already running, click on Options-->Preferences-->Connection. Under Proxy Server, select Socks5, Proxy: 127.0.0.1 and Port: 8080, and finally, check the box to Use proxy server for peer-to-peer connections. Exit uTorrent and open it again for the settings to take effect.

Now you are all set with uTorrent as well. If this does not work, then review your SOCKS forwarding port in Step 4 and your Proxy server port in uTorrent. Both should be 8080.

While you are running uTorrent, you will see similar logs as this in Bitvise:

01:00:25.025 Accepted SOCKS5 connection from 127.0.0.1:50987 to 72.23.43.230:23229.
01:00:25.025 Accepted SOCKS5 connection from 127.0.0.1:50986 to 209.217.79.235:42536.
01:00:25.025 Accepted SOCKS5 connection from 127.0.0.1:50988 to 24.222.204.150:21082.

You might be asking yourself why the ports from your computer (50987, 50986, 50988, etc.), are being used. Isn't it supposed to be port 8080? Well, remember that I said port 8080 on your computer is the listening port. With torrents, you send multiple requests to multiple peers simultaneously. Each request is sent from a unique port from your computer. From above, you can see that a request was sent from port 50987 to an IP address of 72.23.43.230 on their port 23229. The peer sends back data through a random port as well, but to Acanac's server first and Acanac then forwards the data back to you on port 8080. The log only shows the connections that you have initiated to the peer and when that initial connection has closed, and not the actual data that continues to being transferred once that connection has been made.

Note: if you are using the SSH Tunnel for torrents, you will no longer be connectable (ie. your port forwarding will not work), regardless of what the BitTorrent client you are using is indicating. This is because all connections between you and other peers are going through the tunnel. And if an unsolicited request is sent to Acanac's server, it will not be forwarded to you. All this means is that you will not be able to connect to others that are similarly unconnectable.

If you are on public trackers, then this may reduce your overall speed as you may have less peers to connect to. With private trackers, you should generally be unaffected as members on private trackers will stay on to seed the torrent in order to maintain their upload ratio.

With private trackers, you need to be aware that they monitor your IP address ... this is how they can track your upload ratio. When you use the workaround, you are using a proxy server and the IP address that will be monitored is Acanac's IP address. Because of this, you need to log in to your private tracker through Acanac as well. One option is to use the Online PC, but this is tedious and you may not like the browser that comes with the Online PC.

Another option which I would recommend is for you to use a browser ... one that is not the regular browser that you would primarily use to surf the internet. For instance, if you use Firefox regularly, then set up Internet Explorer for this purpose. And vice versa, if you use Internet Explorer, then download an alternative browser like Firefox.

Of course, you can just set this up on your regular browser and not even use a second browser ... but that means whenever you surf the web, you always have to connect to the SSH Tunnel and that unnecessarily adds to Acanac's bandwidth as you would be tunneling everything through their server.

Edit: June 8, 2008 - Some private trackers use passkeys, which eliminate the use of IP addresses. So if you are a member of a private tracker that uses passkeys, you do not need to worry about logging in through Acanac. You can read more in the June 8 post below.

Edit: June 23, 2008 - With more testing, it has now been determined that with public trackers (and possibly with private trackers that use passkeys), you are connectable (albeit limited), even with the proxy server being used. But it is not through the proxy server that makes you connectable. You can read more here.

Internet Explorer

Alternate Browser 1 - Using Internet Explorer to visit your private trackers. Click on Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then check the boxes for Use a proxy server for your LAN and Bypass proxy server for local addresses, then click on Advanced and select Socks: 127.0.0.1 and Port: 8080.

Also, please note that you should add your modem/router IP addresses to the Exceptions list. Otherwise, you will not be able to access it. To access my own modem, I use 192.168.1.1 ... but you should be adding the IP addresses that are specific to you.

Firefox

Alternate Browser 2- Using Firefox to visit your private trackers. Click on Tools, Options, Advanced, Network, Settings, then click on Manual proxy configuration select SOCKS Host: 127.0.0.1 and Port: 8080 and click on SOCKSv5.

Also, please note that you should add your modem/router IP addresses to the No Proxy For list. Otherwise, you will not be able to access it. To access my own modem, I use 192.168.1.1 ... but you should be adding the IP addresses that are specific to you.

Good luck and happy downloading! A guide for FileZilla is coming soon.

Last edited by soulcrusher on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:08 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
 Unread post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:47 am 
Forum Member

FileZilla

As promised, here is a tutorial to set up FileZilla to open an FTP connection to both your Online PC and your 100GB Online Storage, and more importantly, how to set up a secure connection.

SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) to Online PC

Since the Online PC is on the SSH Server, you can use an SFTP connection here. And since you will be logging in with the same username and password as the SSH Client (eg. Bitvise), you won't even need to start the SSH Client. Bear in mind that if you use other programs that require an SSH connection (ie. uTorrent, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.), then you will still be required to start up the SSH Client.

Step 1 - Get the free program here: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php and install.

Step 2 - Start the program. In the upper left corner, you will see an icon which will open the Site Manager. Alternatively, you can select File-->Site Manager or you can just type <Ctrl-S>.

Step 3 - Click on New Site and name your connection (I used Acanac - Online PC). Enter the Host, Username and Password. Port is 22, but you don't need to enter it as this is the default port. And even if you enter it, the next time you open up the Site Manager, it will be blank anyway. For the Servertype, select SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol (Note: older versions of FileZilla will be SFTP using SSH2). Make sure that your Username is in both Upper and Lower cases and that the Host is nx.acanac.net. Click on Connect and on the new window that pops up, check the box to save the key and you are finished.

FTPES (FTP over explicit TLS) to 100GB Online Storage

Since the Online Storage is on another server, you will need to set up an FTPES connection here (more commonly known as FTPS ... but since Acanac only supports FTPS with explicit encryption ... hence the E in FTPES).

Step 1 - Get the free program here: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php and install.

Step 2 - Start the program. In the upper left corner, you will see an icon which will open the Site Manager. Alternatively, you can select File-->Site Manager or you can just type <Ctrl-S>.

Step 3 - Click on New Site and name your connection (I used Acanac - Online Storage). Enter the Host, Username and Password. Port is 21, but you don't need to enter it as this is the default port. And even if you enter it, the next time you open up the Site Manager, it will be blank anyway. For the Servertype, select FTPES - FTP over explicit TLS/SSL (Note: older versions of FileZilla will be FTP over TLS (explicit encryption). Make sure that your Username is in Lower cases only and that the Host is ftpserver.acanac.com. Click on Connect and on the new window that pops up, check the box to always trust the certificate and you are finished.

You can keep adding additional FTP sites using Step 3 above. Always test out whether or not those sites can accept the secure FTP protocols. If none of them work, only then should you choose the normal FTP - File Transfer Protocol.

Now, there is one last thing that you can do with FileZilla if you only plan to visit an FTP site only once. That is using the Quickconnect option.

In the example below, I am just connecting to the 100 GB Online Storage. Under Host, enter the ftp server ... if it supports encryption, then prepend the host with the protocol identifier. In my example, it would be
Code:
ftpes://ftpserver.acanac.com

Enter your Username and Password and click on Quickconnect.

Last edited by soulcrusher on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:23 am 
Forum Member

Add a Network Location shortcut for FTP sites in Vista
(for this guide, the 100GB Online Storage is used as an example)

This is a guide for those who would like to set up a shortcut to access your FTP sites in Vista. Please note that only regular FTP protocols are possible with this method. So even if an FTP site supports encrypted transfers, you will not be able to set up a secure connection. If you want secure FTP transfers, use FileZilla.

Step 1 - Click on the Start button and open your Computer.

Step 2 - Make sure that you have selected the Computer folder on the left pane, then click on File and select Add a Network Location.

Step 3 - Click Next twice for the following two windows.

Step 4 - Type in the FTP site that you wish to connect to. For the 100GB Online Storage, enter ftp://ftpserver.acanac.com.

Step 5 - Uncheck the box so that you can enter in your Username. For the 100GB Online Storage, the username is in lower case only.

Step 6 - Select a name for your FTP site (I used Acanac - Online Storage). After entering in whatever name you have chosen, click Next and then check the box to Open this network location when finished.

Step 7 - Enter your Username (all lower cases) and your password. And if you want to save your password so that you don't have to always enter it, check the box to Save password.

You are finished and will now have a folder for this FTP site in your Computer. If you go back to the picture in Step 2, you will see this shortcut at the bottom of the right pane. Finally, if you want to have easier access to the FTP site, you can drag the shortcut to your Desktop and/or to your Quicklaunch bar (if you depress <Ctrl> while dragging, you can make a copy of the shortcut as opposed to moving the shortcut).

Edit: June 21, 2008 - Thanks to jhbell50, who is providing much feedback on various topics. For the 100GB Online Storage, please note that there is a maximum of 46 users at any time. So there may be times when you try to access this server and you will not connect. At that point, you will be prompted for your username and password ... and clicking on Log On will only return you to this same Log On window. You may click as many times as you want, but if the maximum number of users is reached, then you will not log in.

Also, when you access these files through the network, keep in mind that the files are on the FTP server. So when you open a file, it is not the same as opening a file on your computer. The file actually has to be transferred to your computer first before it can be opened. So when you open it, the file transfers through your default browser.

You may be prompted for your password again. Once the file has transferred to your computer, then it wll be treated as a download from the internet. For instance, if it is a pdf file, it will open directly in your browser. If it is a Word doc, then you will be prompted as to whether you want to open it or save it (at least it does with Firefox).

When I could not log in through this Network, I tried to log in with FileZilla right away. It failed and the log indicated the following:

Response: 421 46 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry

After trying a few minutes later, I connected and received the following response:

Response: 220-You are user number 42 of 46 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 23:26. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.

When you do connect when users are close to maximum and stay inactive, you will get disconnected and may not be able to log back in if the number of users have maxed out by then.

As you can see from the above responses, there were 42 users. I logged in at 11:26. As I was editing this post, I noticed that at 11:33, I was disconnected. This is the second time I have noticed that I was disconnected, even while using the keep-alive command in FileZilla. I believe that due to the limited number of users, Acanac is ignoring keep-alive commands and disconnecting users who are inactive even before the 15 minutes are up.

This seems to be the case, because I disabled the keep-alive command, reconnected and watched when I would be disconnected. It was approximately 7 minutes again. So it is not because of the keep-alive command that forced the connection early. Apparently, contrary to the response regarding the 15 minutes, the inactivity period is only about 7 minutes, at least when the number of users are close to the maximum. It might be possible that if the number of users are well below 46, then perhaps the inactivity period is 15 minutes. If someone can confirm this, please let us know.

For additional info, you can read this.

Last edited by soulcrusher on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
 Unread post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:05 am 
Forum Member

Set Up Your Acanac E-mail Account in Microsoft Outlook 2007 (IMAP)

Your Acanac e-mail account can be set up in either IMAP or POP3. This guide is for setting up Microsoft Outlook 2007 using the IMAP server. Although I can provide a guide for POP3, I don't like using it because once you connect to your e-mail server, all of the messages are downloaded onto your computer and deleted from the server. So if you want to check your older e-mails away from home through Acanac's Webmail, you are out of luck, as it will only show new e-mails received since you last logged in from your E-mail Client.

For more info, you can check out Wikipedia for both IMAP and POP3

Step 1 - Click on Tools-->Account Settings. Then click on New.

Step 2 - Select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP ... this should already be the default setting. Click on Next.

Step 3 - Select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click on Next.

Image[/b]

Step 4 - Select Internet E-mail ... this should also be the default setting. Click on Next.

Step 5 - Enter Your Name, your e-mail address, all in lower case only, select IMAP and enter mailer2.acanac.net as both the incoming and outgoing mail server. Enter your user name, which is exactly the same as your e-mail address, and your password. The box for Remember password should already be checked. If not, check it now. Click on More Settings.

Step 6 - The Folders tab cannot be changed at the moment as the settings are greyed out. I'll come back to this later. For now, click on the Outgoing Server tab and check the box for My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Click on the Advanced tab and first select SSL for both IMAP and SMTP. Incoming server port should now be 993 and outgoing server port should be changed to 465. Click on OK to save these settings and return to the previous window.

Step 7 - Now that you are back on the previous window, click on Next and then Finish. You should now be back in the original Account Settings window. Click on Close and you can now click on the Send/Receive button to synchronize your Acanac e-mail account.

If you stop now, then any new mail you send from Microsoft Outlook will be stored in your Outlook Personal Folders Inbox (ie. on your computer and not on the e-mail server. If you are happy with this setting, then you can stop here.

If you want your sent mail to be stored on the e-mail server, then follow these additional steps. Click on Tools-->Account Settings and from the Account Settings window, double-click on your newly created Acanac account. This will take you back to your account info screen. Click on More Settings and then click on the Folders tab.

Select Choose an existing folder or create a new folder to save your sent items for this account in. Then expand your folders and select your Sent folder. Click on OK, then on the subsequent windows, click on Next, Finish and Close.

One good thing about Microsoft Outlook 2007 is that you can preview attachments in the reading pane. For instance, if you receive a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, you can view it directly in Outlook 2007. For PDF, XML, ZIP, MSI, BIN, CSV, XPS, and XAML files, Microsoft does offer additional sample previewers, but you first need to install their Microsoft Visual J# Version 2.0 Redistributable Package here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vjsharp/bb188598.aspx

and then their Preview Handlers here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 007_01.exe

Once you extract the files, you should go to the Installer folder and read the README.txt file. It basically instructs you to open a Command Prompt by right-clicking it and Run as administrator. Then you need to go to the Installer folder and run Installer.bat.

I have already tested it out and it's actually pretty neat! Anyway, have fun with this. :)

Post subject: Re: Guide to Set Up Bitvise Tunnelier (and other programs, t
 Unread post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:36 pm 
Administrator

Please go here for the latest Tunnel Guide (tunnel.acanac.net):
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11264

Customer Feedback: feedback@acanac.com Customer Complaints: complaints@acanac.com

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
"George Carlin."
Last bumped by Fergless on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:36 pm.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) » DSL Problems / Questions