Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Phone Service (VoIP) » VoIP Sales Questions

Post subject: How does VOIP work with my phones?
 Unread post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm 

I'm considering switching to Acanac's home phone service and I'm trying to understand how this works. I have a Bell landline and Acanac cable Internet service. The phones we have are wired, not wireless, and we have 5 of them. I understand that we have to buy an ATA adapter that somehow connects either to my modem or my router, and works with my modem to make the phones work through the Internet. How would we connect 5 phones to this system?

Also, is there any place I can go to find out how to connect this ATA adapter to my system and how it all works? Instructions would be great and diagrams would be helpful, too.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: How does VOIP work with my phones?
 Unread post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:19 am 

Well, first of all;

The ATA (the phone line adapter) connects to your router and to the wiring in your home, often simply by plugging it into an jack in the house. To do this you need to disconnect the Bell wiring that runs out to the pole (and wherever). Once done, any calls are routed via the adapter.

It does get a bit more involved if you have an alarm system.

If you get the ATA from Acanac it will be preconfigured. There are lots of web sites out there to help you out.

Unread post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:12 am 

Okay, thanks fredsmith!

There's a line cord that comes into the room, but no phone jack in the room. However, the modem and router are also in this room. So that means I'd need a splitter to act as a phone jack for the ATA adapter and to attach my phone to, right?

The other question is would that Acanac ATA adapter be able to handle 6 phones (I forgot to count one)? They're all working off the same phone line.

Unread post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:41 pm 

If those 6 phones are cordless, then only the base unit needs to be plugged in to the ATA. No problem there.

If those 6 phones are the older non-cordless handsets, that could be an issue.

Also, if you want uninterrupted phone service during a power outage, you'll need to plug your modem, router, ATA and cordless phone base unit into a good UPS (basically a battery that kicks in during a power outage).

Unread post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 pm 

S M, they are all corded phones, not cordless. I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem to link all 6 because they're all on line cords running to/from the Bell line, not on separate lines, and they all work fine. I'm not sure how to look into that to find out, though. I wonder if Acanac Tech Support would know.

Thanks for the tip about the UPS! I have one already. I realize that the phone won't work when the Internet goes out, though.

Board index » Phone Service (VoIP) » VoIP Sales Questions